The action camera market continues to evolve. After more than a decade of total supremacy of the American GoPro brand , other well-known and lesser-known manufacturers are trying their hand at making a name for themselves in this highly competitive industry. We have chosen for you the best models of Best Sports Camera the moment. The recent release of the models GoPro Hero 5 (Black & Session) has somewhat upset the established order with cameras even more powerful and compact, we present our update.
Best sports camera of 2019:
Without further ado, discover the Best Sports Camera/action cameras that best meet performance criteria or value for money.
1: Sony FDR-X1000VR
- If you are looking for an advanced action camera, the Sony FDR-X1000VR will surely make you happy. Concentrating advanced technologies, it offers a range of features that make you enjoy an experience worthy of a pro.
- By opting for this camcorder powered by a BIONZ X processor, you will get results at the height of Hollywood productions.
- To align its high-end performance, even in low light conditions, the Sony FDR-X1000VR relies on itsÂ Â Exmor R CMOS sensor and its ZEISS Tessar ultra-wide lens covering 170, which allows you to obtain breathtaking panoramic views. Three times more efficient, the built-in SteadyShot image stabilizer reacts very well and greatly improves the quality of the captures made other than in 4K mode.
If this 4K technology remains the flagship asset of the Sony FDR-X1000VR, we enjoyed the quality of videos recorded in Full HD . The Japanese manufacturer has indeed mounted on board this camcorder, an architecture that improves the sharpness of images and enriches the colors when shooting in Full HD. The fast actions recorded with this mode at 120 p promise great slow motion up to 240 frames / sec . The rate of refreshment is for that high. Capture experiments are even more immersive as you move to 4K, where the results are enriched by dynamic and subtle details.
2: TomTom Bandit
- As the first action camera of the TomTom brand, a leading manufacturer of GPS navigation systems, the Bandit model quickly seduced the market with its many advantages . We will first note its unique design that facilitates handling.
- With a weight of 190 g, it is certainly not the lightest type GoPro camera on the market, but many other points compensate for this slight detail.
- In addition to its good ergonomics, the TomTom Bandit is one of the few cameras to offer a system to adjust the framing – from horizontal to vertical – and to switch from portrait to landscape mode just by rotating the device on itself.
- Regarding the quality of the image, the Bandit allows the recording of 4K videos of 15 frames per second or in Full HD of 60 frames per second .
- This camera must therefore its presence in our top thanks to its value for money very interesting . Not only does the TomTom Bandit allow you to get high quality videos, but it allows you to turn your image sequences into true masterpieces via the Bandit application that can be used on iOS and Android. With the TomTom Bandit Sport Camera, you have the choice between resolutions ranging from HD to 4K, when you shoot, and can take pictures up to 16MP.
- The high quality of the images makes it possible to dive into the atmosphere of the action and the motion sensors installed on board this camcorder make it possible to obtain professional results. These sensors are able to automatically detect speed, rotation heart rate, gravity or altitude. In other words, they miss nothing of your sudden movements, stunts and other accelerations, which allows you to have a final editing at the height of your imagination.
Thanks to the built-in 1,900 mAh battery, rechargeable via the USB 3.0 port, up to three hours of non-stop film can be achieved with this action camera. In addition, the TomTom Bandit adapts to all conditions of use, when you adapt the appropriate lens cover. Hence it makes to our list of Best sports camera.
4: GoPro Hero 5 Black
The flagship camera of the famous American firm ranks just at the foot of the podium of our top 11 but it does not demerit absolutely, it is a monster of technology and especially the most successful product from GoPro.
5: Sony HDR-AS50
- In the full HD action camera range available on the market, few are able to compete with this Sony HDR-AS50. It makes you enjoy the quality Sony at affordable price . Without spending a lot, you will find in this camcorder the perfect equipment to showcase your talents as an action star and impress your audience
- The HDR-AS50 combines a SteadyShot image stabilizer, an Exmor R CMOS sensor and Zeiss Tessarnet lens for crisp, crisp images . The combined action of these components gives images free of blurs and jerks. You’ll also enjoy minimal noise reduction, even for fast and demanding scenes. Actions on breaking waves, rocky trails or uncontrolled slips are recorded with all the details, when you use the capture mode at a refresh rate of 120 fps in HD.
- This Sony camcorder focuses advanced technologies, which ensure a high quality rendering, regardless of lighting conditions. With its intuitive user interface, making movies with the Sony HDR-AS50 is childishly simple. You can select the different modes and functions, but also adjust the settings with ease from the menus.
6: Garmin VIRB Ultra 30
- With the Garmin – VIRB Ultra 30 camcorder, you will make wonderful montages with your sporting achievements. Delivered with the Fenix â€‹â€‹3 multisport GPS watch , the many features allow you to miss any moment of your training sessions.
- To go back to the actual cam action, it has all of a last generation pro hardware. It films in Ultra HD 4K at 30 ips and integrates a stabilizer with 3 axes for the normalization of the oscillation of the images.
- Better, like the other action cams from Garmin, the VIRB Ultra 30 incorporates a GPS and sensors, which converge to accurately determine information such as altitude, distance and speed . It allows you to build the best possible proof of your achievements during your outdoor sports adventures, nautical, air or winter. With the Garmin – VIRB Ultra 30, you will have fun combining your passion for the sport with your talents as an action filmmaker.
- Easy to use, this camcorder has a 1.75-inch color LCD touch screen that sends you real-time images captured by both the camera and the watch included in the purchase. The screen and its buttons remain accessible even when you install the Garmin – VIRB Ultra 30 in the waterproof case up to 40 meters that accompanies it. We also welcome the integration of voice commands , which allows you to control the recordings while keeping your hands free. The live streaming and HD feature is finally a great way to share your movies instantly on various platforms like YouTube.
7: GoPro Hero 5 Session
- The little sister of the GoPro Hero 5 black does not have much to envy the best action cameras on the market, with its high-end performance at affordable prices. It’s without hiding it any longer for one of our favorites at the editor.
- Its performance almost equal to the GoPro Hero 5 black and its perfect design make us the ideal camera to take away on the road or during your sessions. With a price much lower than its big sister (approximately 330 â‚¬), it is the ideal compromise for the 4k video of this quality.
- What appeals particularly to this GoPro Hero 5 session is the quality of the video stabilization which allows to capture striking videos even at high speed or camera in the fist. After testing many low-end 4k cameras, we can certify that this is where everything is played: the fluidity of images when you are moving. The other interesting point lies in the vocal control of the beast which allows ultra-easy hands-free use, we think especially of athletes who can not release a hand to trigger.
- Clearly, this camera is perfect for all those who do not need a built-in screen because this is his only dark spot: a compact design and a lighter price requires the removal of the touch screen present on the Black version. Between us, a screen is good but it is rare that we use it in practice. Everything will depend on your use!
8: Olympus TG-Tracker
- As with the TomTom brand, this is Olympus’ first adventure in the world of action camera. However, with the TG-Tracker, the Japanese company Olympus defends itself rather well against its competitors. In this product, we particularly appreciate the great maneuverability and its handling of a great simplicity.
- Equipped with seals, the sports camera TG-Tracker allows a total immersion up to 30 meters deep under water . It even resists a shock of 100 kg, a drop of just over 2 meters and a temperature up to – 10 °C .
- Nothing to say also in terms of the quality of the images. The Olympus TG-Tracker indeed offers a 4K definition for video recordings at a rate of 30 frames per second and also allows you to shoot in Full HD at a frame rate of 60 frames per second. The particularly wide range of the field angle however reduces the fidelity of the camera to the edges. Hence Olympus TG- Tracker makes to our list of Best sports camera.
9: Garmin VIRB X
- Garmin’s other action cam also targets sports fans who develop a passion for action movie production. With this Garmin VIRB X, you certainly do not have the right to the 4K of the previous model, but the HD capture and editing experiences are also rewarding.
- Under the hood of this camcorder, the manufacturer has installed orientation sensors, GPS or Force G, for professional quality.
- Adopting a compact and lightweight format, the Garmin VIRB X is nonetheless a camera that adapts to use in the most demanding conditions. Able to withstand dust, splash, and a dive of up to 50 meters, unprotected , this camcorder follows you everywhere. Its all-round design includes a flat, hydrophobic glass lens, making it ideal for nautical adventures.
- At a time when advanced technologies like 4K lead the dance, we would be tempted to think that the HD resolution of the VIRB X is outdated, but it is not, since everything has been done so that you have good quality pictures. With an intuitive gesture, this Garmin camcorder can shoot at 12MP and keep up to 10 frames per second . The videos are also not good in terms of quality. With this action camera, the promise is that you will be able to capture your exploits with precise details and a comfortable corner cover.
11: Garmin VIRB Elite
In position 8 of our selection of action cameras, there is another jewel signed Garmin. Once again, it is the athletes who will rub their hands. One of the special features of the Garmin VIRB Elite is its enhanced GPS features. Thus, you will make your recordings according to your profile, for which the engineers of the Garmin house have previously studied the best settings.
Inside the VIRB Elite camcorder, a 16-megapixel CMOS image processor combines with a powerful stabilizer to make you experience 1080p HD video recording differently. As is customary with Garmin’s on-board cameras, different sensors are on hand to make your captures a real success. The importance of the GPS and the barometric altimeter are to be emphasized, as they provide valuable data for takes worthy of the name.
Everything in the design of this action camera with robust and ergonomic aerodynamic design has been planned so that making films of your exploits becomes a real pleasure for you. Easy to use, the Garmin VIRB Elite is equipped with a 1.4-inch Chroma color display with good brightness, which allows you to easily control the various functions and configurations of the camcorder. To support the performance of the VIRB Elite, Garmin has chosen a rechargeable lithium – ion battery that can record for 3 hours in HD – 1080p. So Garmin VIRB elite makes to no. 11 in our list of Best sports camera.
Mention worthy flagship Best sports camera models
GoPro Hero4 Silver
The GoPro Hero4 Silver marks a new milestone in the design of GoPro products. Indeed, launched at the same time as the Hero4 Black, this is the first model to have a touch screen on the back, an improved version of the Hero3 + Black Edition.
Despite a rather minimalist grip, this product is much more compact than the models that preceded it. Its LCD screen is there to give us a framing easier and much more accurate. Thus, for the choice of the field angle, it is easier to switch from ultra-wide mode to medium or narrow in a few gestures.
In terms of image quality, there are 4 additional modes namely 4K / 15p, 2.7K / 30p, 1080p / 60p and 720p / 120p . All this makes it possible, even with a sealing case, to film videos of a very good quality.
GoPro Hero4 Black
A flagship product of GoPro’s high-end offerings, the Hero4 Black is the ultimate in action cameras available on the market perhaps one of the Best sports camera. If it’s not the main focus of the camera, you can still rely on superior image quality in 4K (30 to 15 frames per second), 2.7K and HDTV formats . In other words, the camera is suitable for both professional and personal use. In terms of speed, the GoPro Hero4 Black offers in HDTV 1080 ( 50 frames per second ) a rate of 30Mb / s. Same for a speed of 25 frames per second. During the tests, the action camera recorded crisp, high-quality images with good exposure and dynamic all that is most satisfying. In addition, it allows to adjust the framing on the same plane when zooming images.